Sunday, May 11, 2008

Strike Lighter, 6 x 8, oil on panel


Remember this from high school chemistry class? Haven't seen on in years (I won't say how many). Just happens I have one in a propane kit I have but have never used.

I am working on a 36 x 48 canvas right now of a landscape. Painting exactly what I appeals to me and shutting out the other voices that tell me to paint what sells, what I am already comfortable with... I want challenges and to paint for me. That is the only way I know to have a successful painting. I have to be immersed in the painting; become one with the work. That is when I am happiest and the result is best. The only drawback is that it makes it difficult to talk about the work, because I don't really know how it happens - it flows and I flow with it. Hey I'm happy doing what I love and that is enough for me. Grateful I can be one of the people who gets to say that at the end of every day.

By the way, I am making a "movie" of the big painting. When it is done, I'll post the "movie". Can't wait!

No comments: