Saturday, May 10, 2008

Pencil Shavings, 6 x 6, oil on panel


SOLD
As promised, here's the beauty in the ordinary. Thanks, Erin. Wanted to bail on this pretty early on, it seemed to be forever before it was apparent what the image was.

Speaking of bailing, I've learned a lot in my painting career about the dangers of solitude. I have moments when a voice says "you can't do that, its too hard". I think we all do at some point in our lives. But those thoughts are of my own creation and have no validity.

I read in a golf magazine once about the lack of confidence that can strike in the tee box. It's a little like going on stage, even if just for a moment. I can really have doubts about my abilities then. Well, the magazine suggested that you pretend that your caddy were saying those things to you, like "don't bother, the ball is just going to go into the (woods/ pond/parking lot)". The magazine said that you would fire a caddy that does that, right? So fire the caddy in your head!

3 comments:

sarahfburns said...

Hi, I've seen your work on etsy, I love this pencil shaving painting. click here to see a treasury I put together - all representational artists doing their own thing on etsy.

http://www.etsy.com/treasury_list.php?room_id=43791

Best, Sarah Burns

Gretchen said...

Hi-thanks for your swwet comment! Gorgeous works, I especially love this one.
Have a great day~

kT said...

so cool to see you blog conversing with Erin from Design for Mankind. Love her blog, plus she's pretty awesome too!!

love this one too. very very neat.